Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Is this sling safe?

I wanted to touch on the topic of sling (and wrap) safety in this post. I'm sure many of you have seen the news reports and warnings online, and a few people have emailed me with questions. Not to mention the teaser from my local station "is your sling going to kill your baby, tomorrow night at 11."

I am a firm supporter of the use of wraps and slings. I personally feel that they are an important tool for any new mother and are a great aid when nursing in public. I found the CPSC statement on the matter and found it to be a bit different then what the news was making it out to be. (see:http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10165.html)

When reading the briefing from the CPSC I noticed a few important key points that my local news channel left out. The most important is that most of the 14 babies that were injured or died as a result of the slings were low birth weight, premature, had an underlying issue (cold or flu) and/or were under the age of 4 months. I think that these are extremely important things to factor in when deciding to use a sling or carrier. And the CPSC is not telling parents not to use them, but only to use caution and consult a pediatrician if necessary. Not only is the use of a wrap or sling helpful in doing your daily tasks as a mother but it can help calm a colicky baby and I even used my wrap when my son had his first few shots, it helped to calm him down almost instantly.

I think it's important for everyone, professionals and mothers alike, to show mothers how to use these products safely. If you are buying your favorite sling for your best friends baby shower, take the time to show her how to use it properly. If you are a professional who sells or suggests these products, do a demo or give the mothers a resource to find the correct way to wear them. Being a mom is hard enough :) I still remember the first time I put on my sleepywrap (as an exhausted new mom) I wouldn't have been able to safely carry a potato, let alone a baby. I made sure I watched the included demo video over and over until I felt comfortable and had my hubby check every angel to make sure it was right. But when I got it right it was the most amazing new mommy helper I had ever had the privilege of viewing! My wrap made it so that I could shop on my own, and make sure that dirty hands stayed far from my little one. And when my aunt bought me a zolowear ring sling, I made sure to talk to my cousin about it and she showed me how to use it with an infant.

There are also a one other thing that is important to mention and that is correct baby placement in the sling type carrier. Make sure at all times that your baby is in the correct position, with its back towards the ground and it's face visible by you. The baby should never sag down, turn sideways or be curled so tightly into a "C" shape that it's head would flop down onto it's chest. I think this picture from the CPSC is a great reminder.

From http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10165.html

Also take into account that they sleepwrap/moby style wraps and the ergo baby/Mai tai carrier types keep the baby upright, not laying down. It is too easy to lump all of the products together as "baby carriers" and it's important to remember that they are not all alike. Before you purchase one do your research. Does it have the specifics you are looking for, do you understand the product demonstration, does it look comfortable and is the manufacturer reputable? If you can answer yes then it's probably a safe bet for you and your little one (or not so little one ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment