Friday, March 12, 2010

So what's with the name??

I was talking with a friend today and she asked me "so what's with the name of your blog, isn't breastfeeding important?" Which is exactly what I was looking for! :::she says with a mischevious chuckle:::

The name of the blog stems from an old friend, actually the person who convinced me to become a lactation educator. We were young, just out of high school, and she was pregnant with her first child. I asked her if she was going to breastfeed. Her response was an adamant "NO." When I asked her why not she gave the regular excuses: Formula is easier, I don't want to have to be tied to my baby, it's his baby too he should have to get up and feed him. But the one that stuck out in my mind was "It's just breastfeeding, what's so important anyway." Fast forward 3 years and I was pregnant with my first. I was set 100% on breastfeeding no matter what. While driving to my prenatal breastfeeding basics class I got a call from that friend. We were chatting about her sister who had given birth the week before. She was calling to tell me that she had convinced her sister to STOP breastfeeding. Which of course almost drove me to tears. Her sister had approached her for advice on how to be a mother and she told her to give up on breastfeeding, it was too big of a hassle. Well, 2 things happened that day. 1) I decided to become a lactation consultant & 2) I vowed to never talk to her again (and I haven't).

I chose the name to make people think, to ask themselves, Is it "just breastfeeding?" What is it that makes people think "it's just breastfeeding," how do we go about changing peoples views of breastfeeding in general, how do we make it more normal??

As this is my first post I find myself thinking I need to set some goals for myself :) My goals for my upcoming posts are:
~to provide women with the knowledge of why breastfeeding is important, both for moms and babies
~to show the realities (the good, the bad and the funny) of breastfeeding
~to promote, educate and support the act of breastfeeding
~to not use so many "quotations" ;)


2 comments:

  1. Way to follow your passion, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your blog! this post made me so sad...from my own experience, it is already hard enough to try and establish breastfeeding, never mind have someone discourage you from doing it! you go, girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete