Sunday, March 14, 2010

Undercover Baby??

It seems to be a rather hot topic in the new mommy forums all over the internet. To cover or not to cover while nursing in public. I've even seen people be belittled in said forums for even mentioning the idea of using a cover while feeding their baby.

I completely agree with the use of a cover in public, I promote it to all of the new moms that I teach and I even demo a few in class and show the pros and cons of each (more on that in a later post!). Now please don't get me wrong, I do NOT agree with anyone forcing someone to use one in public. I feed my son in public without one almost on a daily basis, and would fight anyone who tried to make me do otherwise. But I did use one for a long time. I was uncomfortable with my body after delivery and was afraid that people would stare at me. I needed a way to be able to feed my baby without having to go to the bathroom (YUCK!!!!!). I found a cute pink cover with skulls and roses all over it, a perfect fit for my. It made my life as a new mom on the town so much easier. I was able to feed my baby at the mall, at restaurants, even at paintball tournaments surrounded by men and not worry about it at all. Once my monkey was able to nurse without flipping around or unlatching every 25 seconds I became more at ease with nursing without it. I am thankful for the women that surrounded me and encouraged me to be comfortable with what I was doing.

What I don't agree with is making new moms feel that they are doing anything wrong by using one. As a new mom it can be very hard becoming comfortable nursing your baby in public, and if you need a cover to make it happen then use one!! I think it's important to nurse your baby in public. Not only does it help to normalize the act of breastfeeding to everyone who happens to notice what you are doing, It shows other women that it's normal. Seeing you nurse your baby in public and be the turning moment for another new mom to breastfeed her baby.

I think we should strive to make all moms feel comfortable with the act of breastfeeding. It would be stupid to make them feel otherwise.

So to all my nursing mommas out there. Your homework for the week is to nurse that baby of yours in public, wether it's undercover or not! And if you see another momma doing it, give them a wink...let them know that you support their decision to do so.



No comments:

Post a Comment